I
stood there, staring at the answering machine on the night table in my mother's
room. Her room was dark, no light shinning through her windows or the usual
smell of coffee. I could feel my mother's presence in the room without having
to look back. The house was silent and all I could hear was the sound of my
breath, inhaling and exhaling. I pressed the blinking red button to hear the
new message. It began to play.
"Hey
Wanny, it's Shana. I am calling to tell you that Acia's house caught fire early
this morning and passed away with her little sister Sophia. Raymond survived
the fire but he is in the hospital. All the eighth grades are all meeting at
school today at 10 AM. Bye." said Shana.
My mind went blank as I stood there,
still. The room suddenly got cold. The hairs on my neck rose. My hand began to
tremble as I reached to press "stop". I turned around to leave the
room, trying to keep myself together. But as soon as I walked to up to my mom,
standing next to the door, I fell into her arms. Tears ran down my cheeks, my heart
began to ache as my cry's got louder. My mom held me tight and rubbed my back.
I hid my face in her chest to cover my pain. But you could hear it. Throughout the
house, you could hear my pain. But I pulled myself together, wiping my tears with
my shirt and began to get dressed.
"We
are going to wait for you in the car. Take your time." said my mom.
When I finished, I walked outside
and got into the car. I looked out my window, gazing into the dark, gray sky.
There was no sight of the sun anywhere. The cars made splashing noises as they
drove through the puddles on the ground. The car ride was quiet and all you
could hear were my sobs.
Arriving to school, I seen a groups
of students huddled together. I looked around noticing everyone dressed in
black with red eyes and noses. Tissues were passed left and right. Every
time someone arrived, the cry's got louder. Her name was called out several
times."Acia, Acia, this can't be true. Tell me this is not true." one
said. Hearing about her death was not even the worse part. A couple days
earlier, I was displeased with her and her choice of friends. I distanced
myself from her like normal friends do at times, not knowing what was going to
happen to her that Sunday morning.
The moment I heard about her death, I
had a change of heart. I let go of all the anger and frustration that caused me
to push her away and others whom I care about. I became an expert at holding
grudges without realizing that it might be the last time I speak to them. I
never got a chance to tell her I still cared, that I was not really mad, or even
a goodbye. From that moment on, I brought peace with those who I pushed away before and began to cherish each moment as if it was the last.
No comments:
Post a Comment