Sunday, September 23, 2012

Becoming a Writer.


                As the years passed by, I never took time out of my day to acknowledge the importance of writing in my life and my future. When my junior year came to an end, I reflected on the past three years and realized all the fun and games had to stop. I had to begin preparing myself for the college process and college itself. While brainstorming for my college essay, I blanked out. It was as if all my knowledge of writing just went down the drain. At that moment, I received a call and was congratulated on my acceptance to a program at Suffolk University. I grasped this second opportunity to focus on improving my writing skills. This experience at Suffolk University allowed me to build my confidence and realize the importance of writing.
                After given the terrific news, I put my college essay aside and began think about the benefits of this program. It included taking four college-level classes where three of them consisted with massive writing. I was assigned a mentor to assist me with my classes and prepare a study schedule. But that's not all. I was also employed at City Hall. I realized that college professors were going to be examining my essays, not my high school teachers. This brought a great amount of pressure, but wanting to leave a good impression became my motivation to building my writing skills.
                That summer, I was in college balancing school and work. Each week I had 2-3 papers due for my classes. Instead of trying to work on it on my own, I seek out for help. I took advantage of my mentor, taking her advice and writing tips into consideration. I became skilled at focusing on the content of my essays as well as being aware of grammatical errors. I created outlines for each paper I wrote and found myself following it. While revising my essays, I read them aloud, listening closely to the sound of the paper. Carrying on these steps, I aced each one of my papers, completing the program just how I planned.
                That was the moment of my becoming a writer. The moment I realized the meaning of literature and the importance of writing in life. I realized that writing reflects who you are and will always has a purpose. This program built my confidence and brought me to success. It brought me to where I am now, a writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment