Can you envision a life that contains a host of challenges
and pressure to succeed at the age of ten? Being a first generation Latin American, I grew
up in a family where no one has ever attended or even conceived the idea of
attaining higher education. My parents migrated from the
Dominican Republic to New Jersey in the early 1990s and had me on June 8 in
1994. Four years later my brother, Henley, was born. My parents then decided to
move to Boston for a new beginning.
From
the moment I enrolled in school, my parents made sure that I started and
continued on the correct path to success. Raised in an
environment where failure was not an option, I received honor roll more than once each school year. My mother always
told me, "School comes first." This prohibit me from joining any
clubs or sports in school to avoid any distractions. But I made sure I finished
my homework early enough to watch a horror film or play with my friends.
Starting
a new journey at John D. O'Bryant High School, not only did I want to excel in
my classes but be involved inside and outside school. Entering my first year of
high school, I knew I wanted to become a child psychologist. My passion to work
with kids allowed me to become a mentor for ESL children in my community. Being
bilingual, I was able to communicate and teach these kids
who were struggling with English.
Although my main goal is to
become a child psychologist, that did not stop me from exploring other options.
I was employed each summer starting off as a sports camp counselor to a
secretary in the MRI Department in Brigham's and Women's Hospital to assisting
Councilor Collonny in City Hall with research on upcoming projects. In school,
I joined the softball team, made varsity my junior year, and became captain my
senior year. Also, I became a member the Cape Verdean Culture Club and
participated in their dance performance for pep rally my senior year. All of these activities have shown me how much I am capable of and how much more I am able to learn.
Being the first is not always as glamorous as it
sounds. I was faced with many challenges that seemed impossible to overcome,
but my hard work paid off and my leadership
skills were recognized. I realized how important being involved is to me. It
has shaped the person I am today and will allow me to make a difference in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment